Thursday, April 1, 2010

Blue Tree-line Waiting for Spring


Dab, dab, dab, dab-- more dabbing and voila! The dabs have been calling my name since my last painting, Impression Fog. This time, they led me to a blue tree line. After struggling on a piece with soft brush strokes, I returned to dabbing again. What is it about Monet? Somehow he figured out that thick rough dabs of paint can create a softer effect than smooth gentle brush strokes. I like his agressive approach. Painting dabs is something you can do with reckless abandon-- and I like to "reckless abandon" away in my studio on a regular basis.
This impressionist/post-impressionist technique takes me back to 7th grade... At North Asheboro Middle School, Ms. Vicki Essick was my art teacher and she lead the class through a pointillism still-life project. That project taught me more about working with color than anything else I can remember. To me, it was as if she'd spilled the beans on a giant magic trick. Ms. Essick revealed the power of complimentary colors, analagous colors and different tints and shades. She also taught us about mark-making's density and how that could help render an object in 3D form. I'm going to have to dig out that old pointillism project. I'm willing to bet that I'll still be proud as a pig that my name is on it. Thanks Ms. Essick!

After I finished this piece, I ordered the postcards for my May show, The Vivid Fog. I can't wait! They're going to be beautiful. There's something about seeing a glossy printed postcard that just makes everything official. It makes the deadline real-- and with that, I'm off to paint again. I have a long way to go until May.

No comments: