Friday, April 16, 2010

Cake Wrecks and Cup-cakes

One of the funniest sites I've run across this year is cake wrecks (http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/). I get a huge kick out of messed-up-cakes as long as they're not mine. Yesterday I had an order to bake cupcakes for a birthday party. I did what smart bakers NEVER do-- I tried a new recipe the day of my order. What resulted was a cupcake-spread that resembled more of a sheet-cake than perky little cupcakes.





I sulked for a bit, ate a few of the ruined edges (delicious!) and then ran out to the grocery store so that I could try again. Apparently I did something wrong in the mixing process and overfilled my cupcake pan. There's a chance the heat in my oven is off too-- but it's not THAT off, mind you.

The second recipe I used was an old-faithful cupcake-recipe from Smitten Kitchen's blog (http://smittenkitchen.com/). Her work never fails and the cupcakes came out beautifully! They were perky, fluffy, sweet and warm--everything homemade cupcakes should be.





I decorated them with gerber daisy icing flowers and then added these happy-go-lucky bumble bees that have goofy smiles. You can't look at them without smiling... I dare you...


I always learn by example-- failure failure failure and then ta-da, something clicks. Note to self-- give yourself enough time to mess up so that you can figure out how to make things right!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh no! What a crazy batch of cupcakes. My oven heat is messed up too and I recently overcooked cupcakes - but they didn't look quit as special as yours. So are you selling cupcakes? That is cool - you're right, I couldn't look at them without smiling.

Melissa said...

and they were such a hit, too, girl!! with my kids and at the party!! thanks so much!

Melissa said...

girl, they were such a hit!! with my family and at the party! thanks so much for all your hard work to make them perfect!!!

cricket said...

katie! those look amazing!

Cars said...

Katie, these are so cute!!!