Monday, April 19, 2010

Art appreciation & Art communication



This painting excites me. It takes me right back to 7th grade when I was discovering that I could make a beautiful thing out of a few basic materials (markers, paper, tape, gule). Art lets you communicate without saying a word. That's what I've always loved about it. Even if you have a horrid fear of public speaking or there's something you can't say in person, you can still make a painting that tells your story for you-- while you stand back with a shy smile.

Art is such a fascinating way to communicate. For the longest time, art was so personal to me-- so ingrained in my very nature and self-identity, that I had a difficult time talking about it. The funny thing is-- everyone wants to ask you about your art! That's perfectly normal... it's just that talking about one's art is sometimes like airing dirty laundry or owning up to your secret hopes, dreams and fears to the lady at the DMV counter. It's not always an easy task.

I find a lot of artists composing complicated and lofty artist statements that seem to do nothing but lead their viewers down convoluted paths of confusion. I don't like that approach. If an artist statement contains the words "blur the boundaries between art and life" I'm no longer interested. Anyone can speak art-speak. It takes a lot more courage to speak from the heart.

To me, art is simple-- I don't paint for shock-value or to push the boundaries. I paint because I love to paint. I choose imagery that compels me to preserve it on canvas. I exaggerate colors, light, lines and moods that speak to me personally with the high hopes that others might appreciate those same things too.

Appreciating a painting is like appreciating a meaty little poem or a well-written work of fiction. When I find something impressive, I think- wow! I know exactly what she's talking about... I know what she's trying to say and she's said it beautifully and elegantly...That's all there is to it.

2 comments:

cricket said...

well said. most artist statements are such baloney...the most unique and engaging things anyone can say is whatever is most honest about what they're thinking and feeling. it's difficult, and captivating, and endearing.

Cars said...

This is beautiful.