Friday, January 15, 2010

Sweet Potato Cannelloni

I've been working on the healthy-o-meter lately (minus the banana ice cream), and so I attempted a Sweet Potato Cannelloni recipe that I tore out of Martha Stewart Living Magazine ages ago. Essentially, you use a mandoline to slice the potato really thin and then you roll the slices around a delicious mix of cottage cheese, potato and apple. A sprinkle of Parmesan and walnuts on top makes it perfect.
I had high hopes for this recipe and I was a little disappointed with the presentation. It was hard to make-- basically because the potato slices wanted to break when I tried to roll them up. It did taste good though, and I may make it again to take to a pot-luck kind of thing. It was pretty and yummy even if it wasn't perfect like the magazine picture.
This would make a great Lasagna dish if you just layered the filling and the potato slices several times and topped with Parmesan and walnuts.
Beware of the mandoline to anyone attempting this recipe. I got one as a gift nearly a year ago and the first time I used it, I sliced off the tip of my finger-- GROSS and painful. My psyche has just recovered enough so that I'm starting to attempt mandoline recipes again.

No comments: