Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Buttercream dreams


Last night I attended my very first cake decorating class. All weekend I could hardly contain myself. I set out all my tools in my tote-bag and baked my first layers to take with me. At GTCC, I sat grinning at our instructor along with 10 other ladies and 1 very nice gentleman all too eager to learn.
During our first lesson, we learned how to pipe shell borders, rosettes, frills and stars with a number 21 Wilton icing tip. Wild and crazy! We also learned about leveling a cake, piping a dam for special fillings and now my homework is to create an iced buttercream cake that is "hot-knife" silky smooth in all of it's frosted glory.
The cake in the picture is a simple vanilla butter cake with a crumb coat and a few piped practice borders. I would share the recipe, but I actually thought the icing was too sweet. I know you're thinking, how could that ever Ever EVER happen... but it did, I assure you. I couldn't even eat more than a slice and a half. True story. I sent the rest of the cake to the office with Dave so that it could be devoured by lots of hungry engineers. There may be an afternoon sugar-slump, so I wouldn't expect much productivity out of Dilbert today...
For my homework cake, I'm going to use a Martha Stewart recipe. I'm sure she's done her homework and will offer up a delightful buttercream-- perfect in every way. To be continued...

No comments: