Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Feeling Foggy

Last fall I suddenly become fascinated with all things subtle-- subtle color variations, subtle mark-making, even subtle flavors. It's odd, considering that my usual artistic style is vivid-- bright-- anything but subtle! It all started one morning while driving in the fog. I noticed how soft the trees looked behind their blanket of mist, and how the fog changed from a cool-blue tone over the trees to a warm peachy-yellow as it blanketed the sunshine. Bliss! I want to draw that in graphite to explore the subtle tonal changes instead of the subtle color shifts.

Valerie Demianchuk is an inspiration. Her work consists of highly-detailed pencil drawings of everyday objects on stark white paper. Her art's power lies in its simplicity. To see what I'm talking about, click here: http://www.georgeadamsgallery.com/artists/painting.php3?picture=1630&exhib=33

No comments: