Monday, December 20, 2010

Terrariums, Fairys and Gnomes


Last year I received a beautiful bell-shaped glass cover as a wedding gift from my Aunt Joyce. I've already found so many uses for it! It's covered cookies, pies, cheese & crackers, and now it will cover my latest creation... a terrarium display!
To make your own, gather a tiny potted plant (like a fern) and a few things from around the house and yard. Then stick a glass cover on it and you're done! Here you see my collection without the glass cover.
My dear friend, Brynn, brought me the little birds nest earlier this fall. I think it looks sweet with a tiny star ornament nestled inside. Toss in some pine cones and moss and voila! You'll have a delightful display! If you have children, call it a fairy home instead and have them place a miniature chair or seat in there for the fairy.
This little set-up reminds me of a special gnome tree on a path at W&L. Someone had carved a tiny wooden door, complete with a handle and secured it with little hinges to a hole in the tree trunk. I found it one day with my little buddy, who was in elementary school at the time. We opened the door and found a stash of notes and wishes that had been written to the mythical inhabitant. When we put all the little notes back in, we even added a few wishes of our own for Mr. Gnome. I wonder if he still lives there...

No comments: