Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Color of Fog


Sometimes inspiration hits you at the strangest moments. Last week I was shivering my butt off, waiting for my heater to kick on in the Mazda, when I realized how beautiful the morning fog looked on an otherwise miserably cold and messy day. After a meeting and some errands, I came home and mixed up this color palette for my latest fog painting (coming soon). It's a challenge to get the right pale shade of color for the sky and even more of a challenge to get the subtle color variations of the trees. My favorite part of this picture is the way the sunshine glows from behind the foggy mist. Even on such a cold yucky day, it's warmth and happy-yellow are obvious.
As an artist, my job is to capture this feeling on canvas and paint it in a way so that others can feel it too. I exaggerate the color while staying in a soft foggy palette. Yesterday I finished a grant proposal called "The Vivid Fog." I am so proud!

No comments: