Monday, February 22, 2010

Cake Class #3


For last week's cake decorating class, I made a yellow cake with chocolate icing. It had a strawberry filling like the previous cakes, and that gave it a pretty look when sliced. I used a simple swag border with a round writing tip, and then added a shell border to the base and a dot or ball border to the top. A few more flourishes and it was done! This was a pretty cake that tasted great. The lessons this week were basic. We just practiced with our borders and learned how to make perfect polka-dots. Again, Dave and I enjoyed several slices and then we sent it to the office to save our waistlines from the dangers of cake-decorating class. I could eat a slice every day if I left these cakes in my fridge.


I love this picture of our apartment in February. For the past 3 Valentine's, I've hung a homemade paper heart banner. Creativity has always been my stress-reliever. I made this 3 years ago and have carted it through many moves already. My example for kids-art class is a stained-glass paper project that hangs below the banner. We colored a transparent paper with markers and then embellished it with brads and other cut-outs.
The vase of flowers here was a special gift-- a silk-flower re-creation of my wedding bouquet, thanks to my dear friend Brynn and her talented mom. All the colors in this room are just so happy and warm-- a perfect contrast to the dingy snow that lingers in the cold shade outside.

No comments: