Friday, June 24, 2011

Raffaldini Vineyard Thunderstorm




A few weeks ago, our great friend, Nick was in town. We all ended up going to some local vineyards that we've discovered while living in N.C. Raffaldini is the most spectacular as far as the view, and Elkin Creek is our favorite for rustic charm, delicious pizza, roaming guineas and wine that is way better than the standard N.C. versions. As we were sipping from our glasses on the patio at Raffaldini, the most spectacular thunderstorm billowed in from the distance and we watched until it was right above our heads before we ran inside for safety! Here are some pictures and here is the painting that resulted. I must say, I just love it! It's even more fun because it's tied to such a great summer weekend memory. The painting is actually brighter and lighter in person, but another thunderstorm was rolling in as I took the picture of the canvas above. The full painting progression is below. Cheers!










"Raffaldini Vineyard Thunderstorm, 36 x 48 inches, oil on canvas"
This painting will debut at Castalia in Meadowmont Village of Chapel Hill in August. The opening reception is the evening of August 5.

2 comments:

Woodie said...

WoW, katie. This is super cool I love seeing the in progress shots. :)

Katie said...

Thanks! I'm really into the clouds right now and yes, I'm trying to be better about keeping my camera with me and taking pictures of the progress as I paint.