Tuesday, March 8, 2011

More about Jefferson...(and Charlottesville food)

Good old Thomas Jefferson, or T. J. for short, was quite a fellow. Not only did he build a spectacular house and university, (and become president) but he also authored the Declaration of Independence and a document that set forth the idea of separation of church and state.

Jefferson believed education was the most important building block of a country. Without education, people can't decipher truth from fiction or make intelligent decisions for themselves and their families. Hooray for T. J.! Dave and I visited Charlottesville this weekend where we learned a lot about T. J. and a lot about the values that shaped our American history. T. J., you make us proud!


First stop on the list was Monticello... well, I take that back. First stop on the list was lunch after our 3 hour drive. Where did we stop? A tourist trap, of course! Dave and I pulled into Michie Tavern, built in 1784. We were herded in by ladies wearing colonial calico dresses and bonnets, and before we knew it we were in line for a southern-cooking style buffet lunch complete with tin-cups and pewter-looking plates! The dining room had a real fire burning in the fireplace and it just smelled like Thanksgiving. We didn't even know what hit us until they told us the price of the meal after we sat down with a heap of food!

Don't do what we did (unless you're a huge Southern-cookin' fan and you don't mind a 16 dollar buffet that doesn't include your beverage-- seriously people). I have to admit that it was good and it was amusing. As much as I love my country, I'd have to give my vote for the French, Spanish and the Italians when it comes to food that expensive. Screw the bonnets... I'll take a beignet any day.

Then we toured Monticello! Here are some pictures.




That evening we walked around "the mall" in downtown C-ville and we ate at the most delicious restaurant in town- ZoCaLo. I highly recommend the salmon and the cheese plate. I've never had Spanish-inspired salmon, but this was to die for! The menu says it includes "green chili and goat cheese couscous, smoked pico and cascabel cream. " YUM. Also, the manchego cheese with spicy quince spread-- delicious beyond belief. I don't even know what a quince is, but I'm hoping I can re-create this for an appetizer at some point. I didn't take any pictures, but you should take my word about the salmon and visit their rockin' website too.


We woke up Sunday morning and had brunch at Petit Pois. We ordered Brioche French toast (pictured above) that rivaled the French toast from our favorite place in the world... Harris bakery in Savannah, GA. My favorite parts of this place (besides the food) were the blue tile on the floor and the pretty white textured dishes. Yay for details and good design! The tavern could surely take some notes from restaurants on C-ville's downtown mall. For a 16 dollar buffet, I want some good design AND some good food!


Here is Henry Moore's seated figure overlooking part of the UVA campus. She waits in front of the art museum to welcome visitors like us even when it's raining cats and dogs.


And here's T. J.'s very famous Rotunda. Although Monticello was very impressive on the inside, the Rotunda was decorated lack-luster. Let me describe it-- white walls and oval rooms with lots of old books and period furniture. There. Done. Save the walk in the rain and come back when the UVA lawn is more sunshiney. Bring a frisbee and a dog while you're at it.


Dave's umbrella got stuck between T. J.'s columns on the UVA front lawn. I guess Jefferson didn't think of everything...nobody's perfect, you know!

1 comment:

Woodie said...

look at all that yummy food! Sounds like you had a fun adventure. And tasty, too.