Saturday, May 1, 2010

Last weekend I was driving around with the sun-roof down and the Dixie Chicks cranked up when I caught myself doing something my mother always did. I was tapping my hand on my knee… over and over and over again-- just like Mom used to in the minivan. For some reason, that drove me completely crazy in middle school. I thought everything she did was embarrassing and I’m sure I told her in no uncertain terms. Yet there I was… doing that crazy “un-cool” hand jive.

In honor of my wonderful mother and her subconscious hand-jive, I wanted to focus on Mother’s Day. It’ll be here before you can shake a stick at it—May 9th. Fortunately, you still have time to thank Mom for all her little eccentricities and for putting up with lord-knows-what from you.


My favorite Mother’s Day gift idea is from Suzi Cook and her one-of-a-kind jewelry creations. A Greensboro artist and mother of one, Suzi’s Mama Medals celebrate mothers everywhere and give credit to their daily heroic efforts. “Motherhood was more than I ever expected as far as how hard it was and the weight of responsibility it carried,” said Suzi. She created her first Mama Medal from a stray domino years ago to celebrate the milestone of her son’s second birthday. “Those two years were a difficult transition and I was proud to make it through!,” she said.” The Mama Medal recognizes achievements of motherhood with fun and funky style!


As her son grew and began to draw, Suzi developed a technique to capture his art in metal. She creates custom bracelets, pendants and brooches from children’s line drawings for mothers around the country. This offers cool mom’s everywhere a way to proudly display their child’s creativity. Starting at $68, these can be custom ordered from Suzi’s Etsy site (http://www.suzicook.etsy.com).


For the mother who has everything, check out Suzi’s hand-embroidered necklaces combining the delicacy of embroidered thread with chunkier chains and beads. These one-of-a-kind babies are featured at Art and Artifacts Gallery (http://www.artandartifactsbr.com/) in Blowing Rock, N.C. “They are fun, whimsical and different… not something you see everyday!” said the artist.


To see more jewelry by the talented Suzi Cook, visit her blog, Frills and Whimsy (http://frillsandwhimsy.blogspot.com/).

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Wait... Mother's day is May 9? Seriously?! So glad I read your blog because I thought it was the 21st and would have totally missed sending my mom her gift. That would have been bad! Ha ha!