Thursday, March 18, 2010

Impression Fog: Uninhibited Joy








Remember the Impressionists...the painters who stormed out of the French academy and took their brushes and easels into the sunlight to capture fleeting impressions of color and atmosphere? I love those guys. Some days I think I was born a century too late.

While working on my fog series with restrained and uber-soft brushstrokes, I got a little antsy. For weeks this painting was as gentle and smooth as its pastel palette. Then all of a sudden I got the urge to dab.. and dab, and dab, and dab and dab... there you go.

I love the result! Yes, I'm going back to smooth fog painting, but this one is a fun break-away and it achieves the same misty-morning goal. I showed this piece to some friends today and one person told me he saw an uninhibited joy in this piece. I love it! This painting and all of my fog paintings will be on display for the very first time at Circa Gallery in Asheboro, May 14- early June. The opening reception is May 14 from 5-8 p.m. and promises uninhibited joy to all in attendance. You can't beat that!

1 comment:

René said...

I think it beautiful!! Love the shadows and the lighting.