Monday, November 1, 2010

Reaching




These trees look like they're reaching toward each other, don't they? I couldn't resist the sunlight coming through fog, silhouetting these three shadowy forms. Why are they reaching? I'm not exactly sure of the answers but I like to think about the possibilities.

My style is more impressionistic in this piece. I feel a freshness and an energy in the painting that I always try to capture. It eludes me more often than I like, but in this piece I caught it by the tail!

The top painting is the final version and the bottom piece is a palette knife study that helped me prepare.

2 comments:

kate said...

I really think this is some of the loveliest lighting you've created in a painting. I think the soft, impressionistic style and color palette really lended itself to the awesome light.

Very impressive! I guess for the sake of critique, I would maybe suggest next trying to duplicate this very real/true quality of light but in a less impressionistic, more solid style next? Just my attempt to make a constructive comment.

Happy painting :)
Cheers,
Kate

Katie said...

Thanks Kate! I love the impressionistic look-- I think I'm headed more in that direction. :-)